The Swim Professor

Jim Reiser, M.S.

Lifesaving Swim Strokes »« Adult Swim Lessons

Swim Instructor Liability Insurance

Liability Insurance Available for Individual Swim Teachers at a Savings !

Here’s another reason to join WABC (World Aquatic Babies & Children Network)!   If you operate as an individual swim instructor in the United States, Canada or the U.K., you probably have been stepping up and paying at the high minimum insurance rate as if you were a full sized learn to swim business.  For current WABC members, we now can point you to our source at the rate of ~ $200 per year (rather than 4, 5, or 6 times that) for 2 million single and 3 million aggregate coverage.  Proof of insurance, and also-named additions (the company that is renting you pool time typically wants to be named also on your policy).

There’s an easy one-page form and short 24 hr confirmation of coverage with proof of insurance in your hand.   For details, email my colleague and friend, WABC Executive Director Steve Graves at office@WABCswim.com

By the way, the insurance company also does write general commercial liability insurance for swim schools, swim academies in the US, Canada, and the UK if you’d like a competitive quote.

Take action today before spending too much on your insurance!

AND DON’T FORGET!  If you’re not a WABC MEMBER now, you SAVE 15% on your WABC Membership by purchasing any item at www.swimlessonsuniversity.com

, , , ,
March 25, 2011 at 3:05 pm
23 comments »
  • March 30, 2011 at 11:29 amVickie Schrenk

I am looking for liability insurance as a swim instructor. I am certified as a Red Cross Lifeguard, WSI, RN, and Paramedic.
    Plan to teach as a private instructor 3 days a week – 6 students at a time – approx 25 students per night.
    Pool – 4ft depth (entire pool) 75ftx27ft

I do not know anything about WABC except what I am reading on this website. Could you advise and provide information?

• March 30, 2011 at 11:41 amJim Reiser

HI Vickie,

Happy to help Vickie, email me at jreiser@swimprofessor.com

Jim

• December 6, 2011 at 10:05 amJim Reiser

I saw you were looking foward to hearing from me but didn’t see a note?

• December 6, 2011 at 10:06 amJim Reiser

oh, I see you wanted to know about liability insurance… have you emailed me yet? jreiser@swimprofessor.com

• February 8, 2012 at 4:22 pmBryan Quattlander

To whom it may concern:

I am interested in general liability insurance for my swim school.
    The requirements that I must meet are
    $1,000,000 per occurance coverage
    $3,000,000 aggregate
    Please contact me at your earliest convenience.

Bryan

• February 24, 2012 at 1:21 pmJim Reiser

HI Brian,

Send me an email and I will get you in touch with the right person if I haven’t already. jreiser@swimprofessor.com

Thanks!
    Jim

• February 25, 2012 at 5:50 pmCheryl Mowery

I have been instructing swimming for 35 years for the American Red Cross, and they now say we have to provide our ouw liability insurance to teach. I believe the amounts of coverage are $1,000,000 per occurance and $3,000,000 per aggregate. Is there a good source of providers?

• February 25, 2012 at 6:07 pmJim Reiser

HI Cheryl,

Yes, and it really depends how many teachers you have in order for me to make a recommendation. You can email me at jreiser@swimprofessor.com I would also love for you to consider using Swim Lessons University as your Swim Instructor Training and Certification program. We are nationally recognized and your investment is minimal. In addition, you can train all your instructors in-house so you never have to scramble to find a WSI class. To be a Swim Lessons University Instructor-Trainer, all you need is our Instructor-Trainer DVD Bundle Package and you are off to the races! You can learn more if you go to this landing page on our website. You are also welcome to call me. My personal cell is 803-665-8709.

• March 27, 2012 at 9:03 pmChris McCall

I am looking for information on insurance packages. I will be running a high school swim clinic from June thru August in a fifty yard pool. I have a total of twelve swimmers that would meet three nights a week. I will be paying the facility for rent, they never mentioned at this point about insurance, what type of plans and what costs can you provide info about….thanks for the help

• May 4, 2012 at 2:09 pmJim Reiser

HI Breanna,

I missed that. Email me at jreiser@swimprofessor.com

thanks!
    Jim

• May 30, 2012 at 12:21 pmDavid S. Duda

• August 13, 2012 at 6:55 pmHamid

Hi Jim,

I’ve been looking for insurance options and stumbled on your site. The other options I found were geared towards large operations (~100 swimmers) and prohibitively costly. I sent you an e-mail and would appreciate hearing back from you. I’m working towards an insurance deadline and want to explore the option you mentioned soon.

Thanks!
    -Hamid

• August 13, 2012 at 7:34 pmJim Reiser

HI Hamid,

Yes, I received your email today when I got back in town. I have already emailed you the info. Please let me know if you received it. I probably sent it about 3-4 hours ago.

• August 16, 2012 at 12:21 pmHamid

Hi Jim – thank you, indeed I did get the information from Steve and am working through it.

-Hamid

• February 18, 2013 at 4:57 pmJo Gibbons

I’ve been working as a swim instructor for a company and am interested in starting my own private swim instruction business in some of the neighborhoods in my area. I’d like to do classes with 1-4 students per class in the neighborhood pools or backyard pools. What kind of insurance do I need for that and how much would it cost me?

Thanks so much. I hope you are still reading these.

• March 15, 2013 at 6:57 pmLori Shimko

I am a lifeguard instructor and swim lesson instructor. I would like to purchase liability. I teach at a pool that is 3-5 feet deep in the shallow end and 8 foot in the deep end. My swim lessons are private and small group (5 or less students). Lifeguard class is 12 or less students. I am Red Cross certified for lifeguard instructor and WSI.
    Lori Shimko

• June 22, 2013 at 10:59 amLiam Mackin

Hi Jim,

I am also looking for information on purchasing liability and would have a similar setup to others on here, the lessons are 1 on 1 and the pool is 3-5 ft in the shallow end and 8 ft in the deep end. I am CPR certified and a full time Firefighter/EMT. Thanks very much for the help!!

Liam Mackin

• June 24, 2013 at 6:07 pmJim Reiser

Send me an email to jreiser@swimprofessor.com and I will get you those details.

• June 24, 2013 at 9:07 pmDeAnna Kranz

Please provide insurance info for a swim instructor with approx 6 kids per lessons ( I may have a helper) for a private residential pool.

• June 30, 2013 at 12:20 amAllen Parson

I’m interested in teaching private lessons, currently I work for a company and teach for them. What kind of insurance would be required for me to teach privately.

• September 11, 2013 at 3:51 amJim Reiser

send me an email at jreiser@swimprofessor.com

• September 11, 2013 at 3:52 amJim Reiser