The Swim Professor

Jim Reiser, M.S.

« Adult Swim Lessons

Lifesaving Swim Strokes »

Swim Instructor Liability Insurance

Liability Insurance Available for Individual Swim Teachers at a Savings !

Here’s another reason to join WABC (World Aquatic Babies & Children Network)!   If you operate as an individual swim instructor in the United States, Canada or the U.K., you probably have been stepping up and paying at the high minimum insurance rate as if you were a full sized learn to swim business.  For current WABC members, we now can point you to our source at the rate of ~ $200 per year (rather than 4, 5, or 6 times that) for 2 million single and 3 million aggregate coverage.  Proof of insurance, and also-named additions (the company that is renting you pool time typically wants to be named also on your policy).

There’s an easy one-page form and short 24 hr confirmation of coverage with proof of insurance in your hand.   For details, email my colleague and friend, WABC Executive Director Steve Graves at office@WABCswim.com

By the way, the insurance company also does write general commercial liability insurance for swim schools, swim academies in the US, Canada, and the UK if you’d like a competitive quote.

Take action today before spending too much on your insurance!

AND DON’T FORGET!  If you’re not a WABC MEMBER now, you SAVE 15% on your WABC Membership by purchasing any item at www.swimlessonsuniversity.com

Tags: , , , ,
March 25, 2011 - 3:05 PM
23 comments »
  • Vickie Schrenk

March 30, 2011 | 11:29 AM

I am looking for liability insurance as a swim instructor. I am certified as a Red Cross Lifeguard, WSI, RN, and Paramedic.
    Plan to teach as a private instructor 3 days a week – 6 students at a time – approx 25 students per night.
    Pool – 4ft depth (entire pool) 75ftx27ft

I do not know anything about WABC except what I am reading on this website. Could you advise and provide information?

• Jim Reiser

March 30, 2011 | 11:41 AM

HI Vickie,

Happy to help Vickie, email me at jreiser@swimprofessor.com

Jim

• Jim Reiser

December 6, 2011 | 10:05 AM

I saw you were looking foward to hearing from me but didn’t see a note?

• Jim Reiser

December 6, 2011 | 10:06 AM

oh, I see you wanted to know about liability insurance… have you emailed me yet? jreiser@swimprofessor.com

• Bryan Quattlander

February 8, 2012 | 4:22 PM

To whom it may concern:

I am interested in general liability insurance for my swim school.
    The requirements that I must meet are
    $1,000,000 per occurance coverage
    $3,000,000 aggregate
    Please contact me at your earliest convenience.

Bryan

• Jim Reiser

February 24, 2012 | 1:21 PM

HI Brian,

Send me an email and I will get you in touch with the right person if I haven’t already. jreiser@swimprofessor.com

Thanks!
    Jim

• Cheryl Mowery

February 25, 2012 | 5:50 PM

I have been instructing swimming for 35 years for the American Red Cross, and they now say we have to provide our ouw liability insurance to teach. I believe the amounts of coverage are $1,000,000 per occurance and $3,000,000 per aggregate. Is there a good source of providers?

• Jim Reiser

February 25, 2012 | 6:07 PM

HI Cheryl,

Yes, and it really depends how many teachers you have in order for me to make a recommendation. You can email me at jreiser@swimprofessor.com I would also love for you to consider using Swim Lessons University as your Swim Instructor Training and Certification program. We are nationally recognized and your investment is minimal. In addition, you can train all your instructors in-house so you never have to scramble to find a WSI class. To be a Swim Lessons University Instructor-Trainer, all you need is our Instructor-Trainer DVD Bundle Package and you are off to the races! You can learn more if you go to this landing page on our website. You are also welcome to call me. My personal cell is 803-665-8709.

• Chris McCall

March 27, 2012 | 9:03 PM

I am looking for information on insurance packages. I will be running a high school swim clinic from June thru August in a fifty yard pool. I have a total of twelve swimmers that would meet three nights a week. I will be paying the facility for rent, they never mentioned at this point about insurance, what type of plans and what costs can you provide info about….thanks for the help

• Jim Reiser

May 4, 2012 | 2:09 PM

HI Breanna,

I missed that. Email me at jreiser@swimprofessor.com

thanks!
    Jim

• David S. Duda

May 30, 2012 | 12:21 PM

• Hamid

August 13, 2012 | 6:55 PM

Hi Jim,

I’ve been looking for insurance options and stumbled on your site. The other options I found were geared towards large operations (~100 swimmers) and prohibitively costly. I sent you an e-mail and would appreciate hearing back from you. I’m working towards an insurance deadline and want to explore the option you mentioned soon.

Thanks!
    -Hamid

• Jim Reiser

August 13, 2012 | 7:34 PM

HI Hamid,

Yes, I received your email today when I got back in town. I have already emailed you the info. Please let me know if you received it. I probably sent it about 3-4 hours ago.

• Hamid

August 16, 2012 | 12:21 PM

Hi Jim – thank you, indeed I did get the information from Steve and am working through it.

-Hamid

• Jo Gibbons

February 18, 2013 | 4:57 PM

I’ve been working as a swim instructor for a company and am interested in starting my own private swim instruction business in some of the neighborhoods in my area. I’d like to do classes with 1-4 students per class in the neighborhood pools or backyard pools. What kind of insurance do I need for that and how much would it cost me?

Thanks so much. I hope you are still reading these.

• Lori Shimko

March 15, 2013 | 6:57 PM

I am a lifeguard instructor and swim lesson instructor. I would like to purchase liability. I teach at a pool that is 3-5 feet deep in the shallow end and 8 foot in the deep end. My swim lessons are private and small group (5 or less students). Lifeguard class is 12 or less students. I am Red Cross certified for lifeguard instructor and WSI.
    Lori Shimko

• Liam Mackin

June 22, 2013 | 10:59 AM

Hi Jim,

I am also looking for information on purchasing liability and would have a similar setup to others on here, the lessons are 1 on 1 and the pool is 3-5 ft in the shallow end and 8 ft in the deep end. I am CPR certified and a full time Firefighter/EMT. Thanks very much for the help!!

Liam Mackin

• Jim Reiser

June 24, 2013 | 6:07 PM

Send me an email to jreiser@swimprofessor.com and I will get you those details.

• DeAnna Kranz

June 24, 2013 | 9:07 PM

Please provide insurance info for a swim instructor with approx 6 kids per lessons ( I may have a helper) for a private residential pool.

• Allen Parson

June 30, 2013 | 12:20 AM

I’m interested in teaching private lessons, currently I work for a company and teach for them. What kind of insurance would be required for me to teach privately.

• Jim Reiser

September 11, 2013 | 3:51 AM

send me an email at jreiser@swimprofessor.com

• Jim Reiser